Friday, May 17, 2013

Firstie Fridays: GOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLS!!

Happy Friday, Badgers! A few days ago, I was bouncing around the NQFY Quidditch pitch – I really, really like Quidditch, so I bounce a lot on the pitch – and one of our fabulous NQFYs asked me if I was this rambunctious in person. I said no and explained that I am extremely quiet and reserved in “real” life. I started wondering about that answer, though, so I asked my husband if he would describe me as rambunctious. He said, “If you’re around people you’re comfortable with…yeah, absolutely.”

One of the reasons I asked Sir Hat to put me in Hufflepuff was that I want to bring out the ‘Puff aspect of my personality more. I want to get back to being the goofy, happy girl that laughs all the time and can get a little rambunctious. I think I am getting there, and I think a lot of that has to do with being in Hufflepuff. On my sorting form I told Sir Hat this: “I think I can help Hufflepuff, and I think Hufflepuff can help me.” It looks like Hufflepuff is already helping me by allowing me to become more like myself than I have been in years. Now the question is this: how do I help Hufflepuff? My answer, dear Firsties, is this:

Firstie Tip of the Week: SET GOALS!

There are lots of different ways we can help our house become even more amazing. At the end of the day, though, the House Cup and the Quidditch Cup are won by the house with the most points. Don’t worry…I’m not going to tell you that you have to turn in 8 classes a month and do an OWL and an Order mission every term. I am going to tell you that you need a plan, though. If you have a plan, you will have a much better shot at finishing everything that you want to get done.

At the beginning of the term, I like to make a list with 3-5 goals on it. I think about things I want to improve upon or learn how to do, and I see if I have any gifts I need to make time to craft. I take all those things and narrow them down to a list of specific things that I want to accomplish. I usually try to make my goals as structured and defined as possible, because I get lost easily if my goals are too vague. Goals like “get healthy” and “become an awesome knitter” are great, but I don’t know where to start when it comes time to work toward those goals. I get overwhelmed, and then I just throw up my hands and sit on the couch with my laptop and some cookies. So, in the interest of being specific, here are my Spring 2013 goals:

·         Hand in at least 6 classes per month
·         Do all of Quidditch
·         Finish OWL on time
·         Finish Order mission on time

My goals this term are based on my focus on points. I want to earn as many points as I can the best way I know how. Everyone is different, though, so your goals may look nothing like mine. And that’s great: if your goals are important to you and you make them challenging but realistic, then you have an awesome list of goals, my friend. Setting goals helps you accomplish things you want to do, and those accomplishments earn you points, and those points help Hufflepuff get closer to winning ALL THE CUPS. It’s win-win!

I've got a favor to ask now, Firsties. I'd like you to think hard about your goals, because next week we’re going to get organized and start talking about how to achieve them! Don't go just yet, though. I'd like to share our Firstie Questionnaire with you so you know what to expect. Here are my answers:


FIRSTIE QUESTIONNAIRE

What’s your Rav handle?

JessiaSott

What’s your favorite part of your First Year so far?

I’m going to cheat and give more than one answer: getting my OWL and BROOM approved, and being a Beater on the Hufflepuff Quidditch team.

Is anything about the Cup confusing you?

Only how students finish gorgeous projects in a couple of weeks that would take me decades to do!

What do you like to do when you’re not playing in the Cup?

I just joined a roller derby league, so evidently I like being the most obviously out of shape person in the room. I also love to read and spoil my dog.

What are your goals for this term?

Besides the ones you’ve already seen, I want to be active in the threads and improve my storytelling.

What is your dream crafting project?

One day I want to knit a sweater. Not just any sweater, but a sweater that fits me properly and looks good on me. So, basically, I want to knit The Perfect Sweater. No pressure. :)

What is your favorite type of crafting to do?

The only thing I know how to do right now is knit, so…knitting. I also like making collage journals.

What are the three words that describe you best?

Indecisive, insecure, silly.

If you could choose any fictional character outside of HP canon to be your best friend, who would it be and why?

Dorothy Zbornak from “The Golden Girls.” She’s no-nonsense, she’s funny, and she understands the wisdom of eating dessert at midnight.


Thanks for reading, Badgers. If you have any stories about ways that Hufflepuff has helped you, or if you know what your term goals are, please post them in the comments! I would love to hear about them. Huzzah!

2 comments: