The House Elves wanted to wish every ‘Puff mom a Happy Mother’s Day! They had a little meet and greet with StitchingMagic and they came up with this fabulous looking Apple Cake - yum! StitchingMagic’s special touches are noted in parenthesis, the original was from cooks.com.
The House Elves are thrilled to get feedback and recipes so PM YarnVista to get in touch with them!
So, for the Sunday Special the House Elves have chosen…
Silver P.’s Apple Cake
* 1 1/2 c. vegetable oil (1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled)
* 2 c. all-purpose flour
* 1/4 tsp. ground cloves (leave out all 3 spices and put in 2 tsp. gr.)
* 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon ( cardamom )
* 1/4 tsp. ground mace
* 1 1/4 c. walnuts, chopped (I prefer pecans or blanched almonds)
* 3 tbsp. Calvados (or the flavored brandy to match, or Poires Guillaume for pears, kirsch for cherries)
* 2 c. sugar
* 3 eggs
* 3/4 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 c. whole wheat flour, sifted
* 3 1/4 c. coarse chunks of peeled and cored apples (or pears, or peaches, or cherries)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat vegetable oil (or butter) and sugar until thick and opaque. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together all-purpose flour, cloves, cinnamon, mace, (or cardamom) baking soda, and salt, then stir in whole wheat flour. Add to oil mixture and blend. Stir in nuts, fruit, and brandy or liqueur. Stir to distribute pieces evenly. Pour into a greased 10 inch round cake pan (This is not big enough. I use a large spring form pan placed on a baking tray.) Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake rest for 10 minutes, then unmold and pour glaze over warm cake or cut cake and pour glaze over slices.
Apple Cider Glaze for Silver P.’s Apple Cake
Melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 6 tablespoons granulated sugar. Add 3 tablespoons Calvados, or brandy, or liqueur, 1/4 cup sweet cider, or juice of your choice, 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, and 2 tablespoons heavy cream. Stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly, and cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour while still warm over warm cake.